The Cyril Ramaphosa Education Trust (CRET) Bursary Programme
CRET 2021 BURSARY APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN
Closing Date: 30 November 2020
What is the CRET Bursary Programme?
The Cyril Ramaphosa Education Trust (CRET) is a programme of the Cyril Ramaphosa Foundation, which is an independent non-profit organisation that improves lives and creates opportunities through education and enterprise development. In 1996 Cyril Ramaphosa began supporting disadvantaged students with bursaries to attend university. He did this by donating the money he earned from his public speaking engagements. This resulted in the establishment of the Cyril Ramaphosa Education Trust (CRET) in 2000. CRET has a different approach to the management of its education programme and aims to recruit candidates that would ordinarily be overlooked by other bursary programmes, which may only seek out top academic achievers. This is a bursary scheme that considers the holistic needs of selected student as well as their potential, and with support, nurturing and mentoring will rise above their circumstances to become future leaders.
Who is eligible to apply?
Any student from a financially needy background who can demonstrate such need. Our goal is to provide financial assistance for those students who, without additional support, would not apply to study further and/or complete their chosen qualification. Preference will be given each year to essential and scarce skills education applicants as determined by the Department of Labour, various SETAs, and other labour and economic advisors
- Learners(unemployed) youth between 16 and 27 years of age, who want to complete a recognised undergraduate, post-graduate or other qualification, through a recognised South African public institution
- The bursary is only awarded to South African citizens with a valid South African ID number
- Bursary applicants must already have applied for study at the accredited institution and provide proof thereof, on application
- The bursary applicant is not permitted to change the area of specialisation on which basis the bursary was applied for, based on the acceptance letter from the institution
- The applicant should demonstrate good academic, leadership and empathetic ability, with high values and developmental communication skills
- Financial needs (household income should not exceeding R650 000 per annum)
Where can prospective students find out more about the bursary programme?
Information on the Cyril Ramaphosa Education Trust Bursary Programme can also be accessed from Cyril Ramaphosa Foundation
What are the study priority areas?
CRET bursary applicants may apply to study any entry-level/first-time study module/undergraduate qualification of their choice provided that the duration of studies is no longer than 5 years and the institution is accredited by the relevant Higher Education authority.
Is the bursary only offered to first-year students?
Students in any year of study are eligible to apply.
Are students studying towards a certificate qualification eligible?
All application for skills development programmes will be considered, dependant on the requirements and decision outcomes by the Bursary Selection Committee.
Are recipients of other bursaries eligible to apply for a CRET bursary?
If an applicant has already been granted a bursary, the CRET programme may consider their application based on additional need. However, any bursary applicant to the CRET Programme is encouraged to have proven application for other bursary opportunities, including NSFAS.
How much is a CRET bursary worth?
Institutions have different cost structures, so the total value of a bursary differs from institution to institution. CRET bursaries are personalised to cover the successful recipient’s essential expenses., based on an individual estimation and needs requirement.
What does the bursary cover?
Expenses covered are dependent on need, but may include tuition, books and other learning materials, accommodation expenses and meals, and where motivated, a small stipend for living expenses, dependent on other expenses The allocation to any individual student is capped at a specific value which is discussed with the student prior to the signing of a Bursary Agreement. This agreement is binding for one year.
Is a CRET bursary recipient required to serve at the Cyril Ramaphosa Foundation, or its partner entities, upon completion of qualification?
Students are not obligated to work for the Foundation upon the completion of their qualification and employment opportunities are not guaranteed by the Trust.
Must a CRET bursary be repaid?
No, the CRET bursary does not legally obligate bursary recipients to repay the funds invested into their studies upon completion of their desired qualification or failure to complete their studies. A bursary is allocated on a completion date basis, but is renewable each year, dependant on academic results, commitment to the programme, communication policies, and other criteria which is shared on the successful signing of a bursary contract.
NB:- The CRET bursary is only awarded to South African students residing and studying in accredited South African institutions. Study abroad is also not considered.
- Apply for a University Bursary
- Apply for a University of Technology Bursary
- Apply for a TVET Bursary
- Apply for a CET (skills development) Bursary
Application Details and How to Apply
- A certified copy of applicant ID document
- A certified copy of applicant grade 11 latest results, if currently in Matric
- A certified copy of applicant matric latest results, if currently in Matric
- A certified copy of applicant Matric certificate, if completed Matric
- A certified copy of applicant academic record, if currently at tertiary level
- Proof of tertiary application or acceptance letter
- Guardian’s Identity documents
- Proof of income of parents(guardian)
- Proof of applicant Residential Address
Cyril Ramaphosa Education Trust Bursary Opportunity can be applied at XHUMA WhatsApp Chatbot from the 21 September 2020 until 30 November 2020
Xhuma’s revolution Whatsapp bursary application chatbot allows candidates to apply CRET BURSARY opportunities at no charge. Best of all, the Chatbot will generate a digital CV for you at the end of your application.
Tel: 011 592 6560